Re: Schema Placement for Purchased Apps

From: Gabriel Gonzalez <no-spam_at_no-spam.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 07:19:08 -0700

> They're kinda equivalent when performing multi-block reads but what about
> (the typically more common) single block read ? And perhaps more

When would you have a single-block read? My understanding (again, if I'm wrong let me know!) is that Oracle only reads "multi-block" blocks at a time, never less. It puts the excess blocks into the cache, should they be needed.

> importantly, what about the writes DBWRs needs to perform back to the O/S
> system ?

Does it matter? If you need to commit to disk an Oracle 2k block vs a 64k block, at the physical level it is still a whole-physical-block operation (when you get down to physical writes, the O/S can only handle a block at a time, even if you are only changing one bit out of the whole block).

> rotation latency) the general recommendation is to match your block size
> with the I/O buffer size.

So since the physical block size of most systems is 64k, we should be using 64k Oracle blocks everywhere? Received on Thu Apr 10 2003 - 09:19:08 CDT