Re: TWO_TASK

From: Ronald <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: 10 Apr 2003 05:12:53 -0700

"Ray Teale" <ray_at_BLAHholly.com.au> wrote in message news:<lx8la.93$fU4.4946_at_nnrp1.ozemail.com.au>...
> Version 8.1.7. Server installation.
>
> I can't connect as sqlplus system/password but I can connect as
> system/password_at_NET8_SERVICENAME.
> Setting TWO_TASK=NET8_SERVICENAME removes the problem but I don't know why I
> need TWO_TASK in a server installation.
> Anybody help?
>
> Ray

Hi Ray,

so you are on unix. In unix you need to set ORACLE_SID as default database. This in combination with running oraenv (adjusts PATH) makes your default database connection work. You can also set TWO_TASK - as you already know - and with TWO_TASK you force the connection to use sql*net. As a matter of fact, you can set ORACLE_SID to sida and TWO_TASK to aliasb. TWO_TASK overrules ORACLE_SID. In that setup you merely use ORACLE_SID to select to oracle software tree (using oraenv).
You might want to use TWO_TASK on unix client machines. On the server you normally use ORACLE_SID.

Ronald,

http://ronr.nl/unix-dba Received on Thu Apr 10 2003 - 07:12:53 CDT