spawning a new connection from within pl/sql

From: enquiry <noone_at_hometownz.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 10:23:27 +0000 (UTC)

I'm trying to work out how to spawn a new connection from within pl/sql.

I want to embed a password in a stored (wrapped) procedure and then issue execute privilege on that procedure to selected users.

I can't use the invoker/declarer rights as my control for access because the end package I need to run is a 3rd party pacakge with its own security based on it looking up the calling "user" against its own table of privileges. So, I need to set up this intermediate step where I make this middle procedure perform an account session switch. (And I don't want to start editing the 3rd party packages!)

I've been trying to work out how to use the "proxy user" functionality but can't work out how to implement it. I can issue the grant "connect through" to users but then can't work out how to make it work. I may be barking up the wrong tree anyway.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Mark Received on Thu Apr 10 2003 - 05:23:27 CDT