Re: java stored procedures fast, but slow when called as SQL function

From: Nuno Souto <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: 9 Apr 2003 18:25:16 -0700

pete_at_mynix.org wrote in message news:<1049912746.28535.0_at_despina.uk.clara.net>...

> Aha, 8.1.7. That is a big difference with 9i. In 9i there seems to be
> a JIT, in 8i there was none. My measurements of pure java speed
> indicate that it is about 10 times faster in 9i.

Ok, will give it a try. But it's way down in my list of prios. I don't really have a need for a db-side JVM.

> What do you think PL/SQL depends on? It is interpreted, not even
> truely compiled. PL/SQL also depends on some run time interpreter, the
> only difference is that they don't call it "virtual machine".

Not really. A virtual machine is MUCH more than just a runtime interpreter. The PL/SQL "interpreter" actually runs in the same address space as the SQL engine and the rest of the db. The JVM is a completely different beast. It has to be totally separate or all hell breaks lose on security.

> I'm used to it since 5 years. But I keep feeling extremely limited in
> this archaic pascal-like language. Building data structures with
> VARRAYS and nested tables or index-by tables is plain horror.

Ada-like, not Pascal. Wish it was really Pascal... Yes, it's archaic for data structures. But the latest stuff is quite nifty. Have a look at the Tom Kyte column in the Oracle Mag. He's got some very good examples of late on how to use types in PL/SQL for quick stuff. Much better than the VARRAY or nested stuff. Pure in-memory structs. Quite usable.

>> be done with PL/SQL.  Like sending e-mails from the db!  ;)

> Can be done with PL/SQL :).
> Just look in the description of the utl_tcp package where there is an
> example of how to send mail.

and exactly which language do you think utl_tcp is written in? ;)

Cheers
Nuno Souto
wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam Received on Wed Apr 09 2003 - 20:25:16 CDT