Re: Convert code from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Plus for Oracle

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 23:22:39 +0100

"Intikhab Bashir" <intikhab.bashir_at_corporate.ge.com> wrote in message news:83a078a7.0304080749.6320e456_at_posting.google.com...
> Hi, how can I change the following so Oracle SQL can recognise.
<snip>

Recommendation (strong one):

*Don't* convert. Instead, re-engineer.

If you don't have a spec, work out what it's doing, then redo it in Oracle. It would be a major mistake to try a procedural line-by-line conversion.

This is general advice; not specific. But as an example, what this is doing you could do in Oracle in two lines of SQL (and probably in SQL Server too for that matter, though I claim no special expertise there).

Regards,
Paul Received on Wed Apr 09 2003 - 17:22:39 CDT