Re: Convert code from SQL Server 2000 to SQL Plus for Oracle

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 23:08:30 +0100

"Karsten Farrell" <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com> wrote in message news:MPG.18fdf44d12c047dc989728_at_news.la.sbcglobal.net...
> wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam said...
> > Following up on DA Morgan, 09 Apr 2003:
> >
> > > Where are the good old days where we got paid by the number of lines
of
> > > code?
> > >

> > Hah! Can you imagine? A simple J2EE app
> > with three or four screens is worth about
> > 4Mb of COMPRESSED jar file. Man, that would
> > be worth a *fortune* in Cobol lines!
> >
> > Progress....
> > :)
> >
> A long time ago I worked for the government and one of our contractors
> touted their productivity in lines of code in Forms 3 .inp files ... and
> claimed they were some kind of supercoders ... well ahead of the
> national average in producing "flawless" code.
>
> Same with MS Visual C++ MFC ... lots of code and all you've got is an
> SDI or MDI window with nothing in it.
>
> Where will we store software distribution files when they no longer fit
> on a DVD?
> --

Amen.

And when will some revolutionary Project Manager or Development Manager reward those who find a working solution with the *fewest* lines of code?

Simple, common sense idea, around for at least 20 years, but they're still at it; writing reams. Maybe the idea is to future-proof the developers, since the code produced is too cumbersome, long-winded and verbose to be handed over to anyone else to maintain, so they have an indefinite contract.

Or is that too cynical an attitude? Maybe Jim K is right; I'm too old.

But why don't we just do things *right*? Then the customers would *want* us back, rather than just *needing* us back to fix what we broke before.

Rant, sorry.

Regards,
Paul Received on Wed Apr 09 2003 - 17:08:30 CDT