Re: [ANNOUNCE] Senora: a replacement for sqlplus

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 20:14:24 GMT

forbrich_at_telusplanet.net said...
> > Cool! And in English, we've adopted a few German words ... like the
> > Southern California fast-food chain, der Wienerschnitzel ... they need a
> > very long building to display their name. Why do Germans feel compelled
> > to string a dozen words together into one word? <vbg>
>
> Because it's much simpler.
>
> You take the paragraph that describes an object, trim white space and
> capitalize. Then you don't need to spend any time teaching what the new
> thing is - it basically comes with a built-in definition & possibly even a
> built-in manual.
>
> One negative side effect ... we (of German background) do tend to be verbose
> and go on and on and .......

Ahhh ... now I understand ... uh-huh ... you take a big breath before each German word and see if you can get all the way to the end before running out of breath. I hope you know I'm just joking! Although I'm Irish on my father's side, my maternal grandfather's name is Augustus Gunther (guess which nationality that is). So I can't say anything really bad about the German language without risking a late-night visit from an angry poltergeist! Verbose German on one side and a love of blarney on t'other.

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA