Re: java stored procedures fast, but slow when called as SQL function

From: Martin Chadderton <martin.chadderton_at_mwhglobal.com>
Date: 9 Apr 2003 13:06:57 -0700

pete_at_mynix.org wrote in message news:<1049807679.1523.0_at_iapetus.uk.clara.net>...
> martin.chadderton_at_mwhglobal.com (Martin Chadderton) writes:
>
> > > I was hoping to finally switch 100% to Java ISO PL/SQL, but this seems
> > > to be impossible still :(
> >

> > Doesn't surprise me this, it's due to the SQL-oriented nature of what
> > the JSP is trying to do. There's no better / more efficient language
> > for handling SQL than PL/SQL.
>
> What a pity that after 3 years (or more?) Oracle still didn't manage
> to get Java on par with PL/SQL w.r.t. integration with SQL. I cannot
> see a fundamental reason why it is not possible (especially with SQLJ
> and oracles propriatary extentions anything PL/SQL can should be
> possible in Java as well.
>
> If Oracle wanted they could make Java just as suitable and efficient
> as PL/SQL.

Yeah, it's just "one of those things". Having said that, PL/SQL is intrinsically more "involved" with the database, it's been there a lot longer,
practically all of oracles built-in packages are just that... PL/SQL packages.
The problem with Java is that it's a "bolt-on", the PVM is oracle propietary
whereas the JVM is not etc. etc.

Personally, I prefer PL/SQL over Java for this kind of stuff, but then that's me! ;-)

PL/SQL will never go away (certainly not in the next 5-10 years anyway). It's a natural language to write in, efficient at what it does. Oracle has invested heavily in it's development (not to mention that all of it's customers would complain HEAVILY if it was announced that in some future version they were
desupporting it! ;-)). Received on Wed Apr 09 2003 - 15:06:57 CDT