Re: Tuning attempt

From: Ricky Sanchez <rsanchez_at_more.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 14:50:47 GMT

Comments in-line.

Niall Litchfield wrote:

> > 1. find the worst bottleneck
> > 2. relieve it
> > 3. go to 1, repeat until done
>
> There is at least one problem with this approach. It is an infinite loop.
> There will always be a bottleneck. The goal should be repeat until
> performance is acceptable.

I think that is what "done" means. Presumably something made you think there was a performance problem to begin with. When that symptom is gone, you are done. Eye of the beholder, all that...

> I'd also personally change it so that it reads
>
> 1. Find where you are spending your time
> 2. Minimise time spent there
> 3. repeat until elapsed time is acceptable to end users/ management.

Sure, but a bit wordy, don't you think? Besides, if I am spending my time watching television and I simply watch less television, I don't necessarily become more productive or efficient, do I?

Seriously, focus on "bottleneck". It fits queueing analysis much better.