Re: java stored procedures fast, but slow when called as SQL function

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: 09 Apr 2003 14:15:14 GMT

Following up on , 09 Apr 2003:

> If I call one Java SP that does a lot of (non SQL) work and write the
> equivalent in PL/SQL, the Java version is up to 10 times faster. For
> example a prime number calculation.

OK. Now, instead of using floating point arithmetic, try something more mundane like heavy string manipulations.

Sub-stringing, translating, comparing, sorting. Lots of stack stuff.
Surprise: Java is not at all faster....

> If I have a trivial Java SP and call it as an SQL function, and do the
> same in PL/SQL, the PL/SQL function is 6 times faster.

Ommit the floating point arithmetic from the trivial stuff and it's back to square one...

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto