Re: Granting table privileges

From: Peter <no_email_at_no_email.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 14:15:15 +1000

I'm not experienced enough to know exactly how much benefit it would be, but surely if you have a table on one physical mountpoint and the index to the table on another physical mountpoint then this would reduce contention. Obviously, you would seek to reduce I/O hotspots. Just because you have the option to use a default index tablespace, doesn't mean you have to use it. Having the option to set a different index tablespace to your default tablespace just means that you have extra flexibility. Oracle obviously has a great deal of flexibility currently. Having your indexes in different tablespaces also allows you greater flexibility when it comes to archiving as well. If disk space is a consideration then why bother archiving an index when it is redundant information? Simply being able to drop the indexes and then the tablespace means greater flexibility. Over half of one our databases is taken up in indexes, this means a lot of time is spent archiving indexes when they could simply be dropped and then archived. The time used to rebuild the index isn't an issue if the database had to be restored.