Re: Rollback Segments Question

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 09 Apr 2003 08:35:24 +1000

Sybrand Bakker <gooiditweg_at_nospam.demon.nl> writes:

> On 08 Apr 2003 18:15:12 +1000, Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com> wrote:
>
> >2. According to the Oracle 8i documentation, if you do not include
> > your rollback segments in the rollback_segment parameter in the
> > init.ora file, your rollback segments will not be brought back
> > on-line when you bring your database up and will need to explicitly
> > be brought on-line with a alter statement. THis is in addition to
> > the rollback_segments other role relating to public/private rbs and
> > parallel servers. I have done some experiments with 8i and this
> > does not seem to be the case. If I don't include the RBS in the
> > parameter file, they still come up on-line when the db is
> > started. Again, is this just old documentation left from an earlier
> > Oracle version, a documentation error or am I missing something?
>
> PUBLIC rollback segments come up automatically. PRIVATE rollback
> segments must be in init.ora or brought up manually. You probably have
> PUBLIC rollback segments, which you can verify by looking at the owner
> of the rollback segment

Ah, yes - that is it. Thanks for the clarification. The manual does not specifically say the init.ora parameter needs to be there for private rollback segments to be automatically brought up - it just says rollback segments. This is what had me a bit confused as I had found with public rollback segments they automatically come up with or without the init.ora entry.

thanks

Tim

--
Tim Cross