Re: Fad of the month Java data access question.

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_ywho.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 14:12:47 -0700

"Hans Forbrich" <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message news:3E89B3B6.FD3F4867_at_telusplanet.net...
> a) JDBC (from http://java.sun.com/products/jdbc) is the fundemental data
access
> API. It appears to be the basic "if all else fails" but somewhat
cumbersome
> technique. Almost like writing low level code. Any programmer who learns
the
> others and doesn't know JDBC should be sent home.
>
> b) JDO (from http://www.jdocentral.com/) us a J2SE (Java 2 Standard
Edition)
> extension. J2SE (as compared to J2EE , or Java 2 Enterprise Edition)
seems
> mainly oriented towards a single, standalone app or the client in a C/S
> environment. Use this when you use J2SE environment, not J2EE
environment!

> c) DAO (from http://java.sun.com/blueprints/patterns/DAO.html) is a
specific
> design pattern (or technique) in the J2EE environment. Design patterns
seem to
> be templates, code techniques and even code snippets, published to assist
a Java
> programmer in accomplishing a specific type of task quickly without
reinventing
> the wheel. I see this as an effective shortcut in a J2EE/non-EJB
environment.

> d) EJB (from http://java.sun.com/products/ejb/) is the definition and
> implementation of a componment technology and a framework. In order to
avoid
> reinventing basic code (like database connectivity, security, mail, and
so on)
> an EJB compliant environment provides all the basics, or allows them to be
> 'clipped in', and simply invoked through configuration. IMHO, it is a
very
> ambitious design pattern that is reasonably successful for 'assembly line'
> programming. EJBs have their place ... I strongly encourage their use
(when
> appropriate) ... learn about appropriate from the book "Mastering EJB"
available
> through http://www.theserverside.com

I would capitalize the letters and put it as a following question into "RDBMS Fundamentals" exam:
"Recognize a *single* technology among A,B,C,D that is not a fad".

If you are not able to answer this question, the suggested reading would be "Introduction to the Databases" by C.J.Date. Received on Tue Apr 08 2003 - 16:12:47 CDT