Re: Finding full-table scans?

From: Howard J. Rogers <howardjr20002_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 19:16:25 +1000

"Joel Garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> wrote in message

> Ah yes, the old "posting email in a public forum" etiquette.

If he hadn't wanted his bullying tactics made public, he should have said as much in his email. If he had merely posted an email saying 'Can't we make up', I would have kept it quiet, even without him asking. But when he starts threatening, he gets busted. If that's not 'netiquette', tough. It's warranted, whatever.

> Well, if the person posting happened to be connected somehow with a
> large US corporation, and the person damaged merely has to convince a
> Bay Area jury of flakes and nuts that there is a preponderance of the
> evidence, even if it is close to impossible, then the insane system
> still could allow legal blackmail. While even just a few years ago it
> was quite ridiculous, the way things are now, who knows? Personally,
> I don't think there are many "clean hands" in this matter.

I'm not sure where clean hands come into it. Either he posts technically good information, or he doesn't. Now if some complete newbie were to post a script that is distinctly dodgy, I'd merely keep quiet about it, probably. But when a self-proclaimed Oracle expert with 20 years' self-proclaimed DBA knowledge does so, I think it warrants being held to a higher standard. And as I've pointed out subsequently, the script he posted was Junior School material.

I wouldn't even mind if it was Don Burleson's first foray into the technically naiive. But it isn't. (And there's a sinking feeling that it won't be his last).

Now I dare say I could have hedged my criticism about with florid phrases and code-talk for the initiated, and in the process sounded utterly reasonable and respectable. But stuff that. The guy peddles non- and misleading information to the UNinitiated, using astounding marketing flummery to make it more attractive and to give it a bogus veneer of reliability. It is, frankly, a disgrace, and I make no apologies whatsoever for calling it tough.

Those who profit from those wanting to learn deserve to be held to the highest standard of all. If Jonathan Lewis or Thomas Kyte (to mention but two - who probably don't even make much of a profit from their efforts) can produce the goods, then others should do so, too. And I include a certain well-known Corporation in that charge.

HJR Received on Tue Apr 08 2003 - 04:16:25 CDT