Re: Finding full-table scans?

From: Paul Drake <drak0nian_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 7 Apr 2003 22:57:01 -0700

"Joe Bayer" <joebayerii_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<Lf5ka.2316$e97.978_at_nwrdny03.gnilink.net>...
> "Howard J. Rogers" <howardjr2000_at_yahoo.com.au> wrote in message
> >
> > "Don Burleson" <don_at_burleson.cc> wrote in message
> > > Here is the script that I use to locate FTS.
> > >
> > > A also have lot's more SQL scripts in my latest book, Creating a
> > > self-tuning Oracle Database.
> > >
> > > http://www.dba-oracle.com/bp/bp_book3_oracle9i_sga.htm
> >
> > Warning: Humbug Alert.
> >
> > And then tell me why I should buy your book when not three months ago you
> > were posting information that was technically inaccurate and eight years
> out
> > of date, yet offering it as good advice for current databases.
> > (Incidentally, it was technically inaccurate eight years ago, too, but I
> > couldn't be bothered to point it out to you at the time).
>
> I have a copy of book "performance tuning using statspack" by Don Burleson,
> it is a great book, a lot of innovative ideas and very informative.
>
> Of course there is a little bit incorrect statement, like "if table A is
> analyzed while table B is not, Oracle optimizer will dynamically analyze
> first 5000 rows of table A", but you can not expect a book be completely
> clean of mistakes. I like reading his books.

and if you are not running on *nix, the book is of very limited utility.
Then again, Valpuri's book had nothing specific for folks running on win32.
The platform-agnostic stuff in both cases was fine - but once you get platform-specific - in win32 land - they wouldn't tell you if it was standard or daylight saving time.

happy daylight savings time - get out of the office and enjoy it - and shovel some snow.

Paul Received on Tue Apr 08 2003 - 00:57:01 CDT