Re: Recovery from files only (not backup)

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 7 Apr 2003 14:27:20 -0700

"Mo Abbouchi" <mabbouchi_at_alionscience.com> wrote in message news:<daf0cdb4b87dc6d2d5bdd51825eead49.124377_at_mygate.mailgate.org>...
> We did not have a regular backup and the last backup is more than a
> month old. this is a development environment.
>
> Last week, the server crushed, so the Server Administrator copied all
> the oracle files to a tape.
>
> using Oracle 8.1.7
>
> We re-installed Oracle, and we like to restore whatever we can from the
> files that was copied not from the last backup.
>
> what should we do??? can we do it???

Mebbe. Mebbe not.

You should take backups (or have some method of recovering your development environment, at least).

Now, if all files were copied, and they are replaced back to where they were, and all configuration is identical, it may indeed come back up. All the files must be exactly in sync for this to work automatically, and even then it might not, depending on the reason for the crash. Of course, it would be easier to say if you mentioned which platform and versions and configuration you were on, beyond "8.1.7."

From the tone of your post, I'm guessing Windows, noarchivelog mode. If you manage to get the db partly up, post what errors you are getting. I'm also guessing the admin might have not copied "all files," in which case you might well be all out of luck. What do you hope to get out of this database?

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.