Re: How to perform a simple full database backup

From: Paul Brewer <paul_at_paul.brewers.org.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 21:29:07 +0100

"cpchan" <cpchaney_at_netvigator.com> wrote in message news:b6mr10$qom1_at_imsp212.netvigator.com...
> I feel most people will use tar command to backup Oracle RDBMS on UNIX
> machine rather than Oracle's backup and restore functions.
> Actually, I have tried Oracle's backup and restore functions in my own
> Windows 2000 Advanced Server, but it requires that Oracle Management
Server
> must be installed first.
> So tar command is a very simple method comparing with Oracle's backup
> function.
> Do you agree.
>
> 2003-04-05
> Hong Kong

I don't know what you mean by 'Oracle's backup and restore functions'. If you mean RMAN, I have found it quite useful, particularly for my tests of hot backups in 9i (must confess; I wasn't particularly impressed with the 8.0 edition).

But Norman's post related to cold backups (a perfectly valid form of backup, provided that the downtime is available), and IIRC, was that provided the database is shut down, you can copy the datafiles using whatever is the preferred method. And he is absolutely correct.

Of course, if you TAR the files of an open database, you have no usable backup whatever. But everyone worth anything knows this...

Regards,
Paul Received on Mon Apr 07 2003 - 15:29:07 CDT