Re: v$latch_misses statistics

From: Amir Hameed <Amir.Hameed_at_usa.xerox.com>
Date: 7 Apr 2003 13:16:39 -0700

Ricky and Yong,
Thank you both for providing useful information in response to my query. Here are a few things that I have been thinking and would appreciate your thoughts on:
-- using session_cached_cursor parameter. In 11i database, this is set to "zero" by default and an Oracle document was suggesting a value of 200. I am glad that Ricky pointed out a value of 100 and some constraints related to it due to the Oracle release (we are at 8.1.7.4, 64-bit). The reason I was thinking of setting this parameter was because as I was sampling the following statistics from v$sesstat view, I was seeing high value for the "opened cursors cumulative" and "parse count (total)" statistics for some sessions. Following are statistics from one such session:

          Statistic Name                   Value
        -------------------------------    ------

* opened cursors cumulative 5,137
* opened cursors current 100
* parse time cpu 102
* parse time elapsed 100
* parse count (total) 5,139
* parse count (hard) 46
* session cursor cache hits 0
* session cursor cache count 0
High values for soft parses (parse count total - parse count hard) made me think that these sessions are either opening too many cursors or opening cursors too many times and by setting this parameter, I may alleviate some load from the library cache that these soft parses are putting.

Do you support my theory ?

thank you
Amir Received on Mon Apr 07 2003 - 15:16:39 CDT