Re: How to perform a simple full database backup

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 23:09:36 +1000

"Rick Denoire" <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> wrote in message news:f6a19vgppch4q4u4hsvppk71k4d74hbhm2_at_4ax.com...
> Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk> wrote:
> >you'll want the 'cold backup' method then !
> >
> >login as system and do the following :
> >
> > select name from v$datafile
> > union
> > select member from v$logfile
> > union
> > select name from v$controlfile
> > order by 1;
> >

> What about files of rollback segments and temp tablespace?

Hi again Rick,

With regard to rollback segments (undo segments), they most certainly need to be backed up and are included in the datafile listed in v$datafile so they're covered.

With regard to temp tablespaces (assuming you're doing the right thing and are really "temporary" tablespaces using temp files), they most certainly do *not* need to be backed up and are not included in v$datafile (they're listed in v$tempfile).

So I don't see a lot wrong with the above except that backing up online redo logs is a little questionable but I would include spfiles (if you use them).

Cheers

Richard Received on Mon Apr 07 2003 - 08:09:36 CDT