Re: Reorganizing the DB.. the tricky way

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 10:02:22 +0100

"Anton Buijs" <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl> wrote in message news:3e90a143$0$49105$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl...
> DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> schreef in berichtnieuws
> 3E909DD0.F6E37025_at_exxesolutions.com...
> | Anton Buijs wrote:
> |
> | I would argue that in a production database there is no place for ALTER
> TABLE
> | ADD column as is being assumed here. That to do so is irresponsible. The
> | existing data should be dumped to a temp table, the table truncated,
then
> | modified, and the data returned to the table in combination with
whatever
> values
> | are required by the modification.
> |
> | Daniel Morgan
> |

> Don't agree it is irresponsible, it is the real world! The production DBA
is
> always the last to know that a column has to be added, no time to wait for
> the proper moment to take the application down for a while so you must
add
> the column NOW. And do the reorg later.

When this happens (and it does) it is a failure of the change management process. In fact adding anything NOW to production is an organisational/process failure. If you have some work done on your house the builders don't just turn up and expect to start laying bricks NOW, they and you as the owner schedule the work for an appropriate time. If they don't they are a bunch of cowboys.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA