Re: Expanded Oracle DBA Site

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 01:20:20 -0400

"Gabriel Gonzalez" <no-spam_at_no-spam.com> wrote in message news:HWCdnZLI_Mzsew2jXTWcrg_at_giganews.com...
> > And you have the unmitigated gall to call the author you stole from
> > unprofessional? You are a disgrace and clearly a rank amateur. Have you
no
> > shame?
>
> Stop the trash talk, these newsgroups don't need anymore of this trash
>
> Hopefully everyone reading your comment will recongnize it for what it is:
> Yet another shoot-from-the-hip personl assault that was uncalled for (if
you
> want it to be called for, then prove your allegations true before you make
> them).

Gabriel,

The addressee took what did not belong to him, made no effort to determine proper ownership of what did not belong to him and used what did not belong to him for his own intended commercial gain. That's theft. None of those facts are in question nor were any of them in question when I made the allegation--the addressee publicly admitted to those facts.

The addressee publicly libelled the author and copyright holder calling him "unprofessional" for exercising his own right to his own intellectual property. Neither are any of those facts in question nor were any of them in question when I made the allegation--they were written in the addressee's public post to which I replied. Stealing from someone and then libelling the victim in retribution for getting caught is disgraceful. Does anyone disagree?

The addressee called the victim of his theft "unprofessional" without stating his reasoning but apparently for the public way in which the victim exercised his property rights. By the addressee's apparent standard, choosing a needlessly public forum for addressing conflict is "unprofessional." (One wonders whether the same standard applies to robbery victims shouting "Stop thief!" on a crowded street.) Thus the addressee's own choice of a public forum to denigrate his victim rates the addressee "unprofessional" by his own standard--exceptionally so, in fact, given he had wronged his victim once already.

The author and copyright holder of the material, Howard Rogers, had a right to address the theft of his own property and to legally address that theft in whatever forum he chose. That's in the nature of a property right and copyright is, after all, a property right. It seems appropriate enough to me to address the theft in the same forum where the stolen materials were advertised by the thief.

The helpful suggestions from passersby such as Pablo Sanchez were just that: suggestions for how to address the theft from helpful passersby.

The addressee, Jeff Hunter, on the other hand, had no right to libel the man he stole from. The fact that he showed no contrition (not one bit) for stealing (regardless of intentions) says a lot about the man's character. That he showed vindictiveness where contrition was called for says even more about his character.

Only a rank amateur posing as a legitimate publisher would steal copyrighted material from someone (without realising it) and then publicly and vindictively criticize the victim of the theft for exercising his property rights. A professional publisher would take every precaution to respect the copyrights of others and to avoid inadvertent theft. A professional publisher would certainly know better than to assume something is in the public domain just because it appears in multiple publications. On those rare occasions where the precautions fail, a professional publisher would publish a contrite correction.

I apologize for needlessly expressing my outrage at theft and libel. It was vindictive--absolutely, justly and unapologetically vindictive, but vindictive nonetheless. It also contributed noise for which I have some remorse.

I have to wonder about your moral compass, though, when you seem unperturbed by theft and libel but outraged to action by my outburst. What's up with that? I hope it was only one of those momentary lapses in judgement to which we all succumb from time to time.

> Whatever... this childishness in the Oracle newsgroups is beginnign to
rival
> that of flame-only groups.

If you want to avoid childishness, I suggest you not cross-post childish demands for proof of unquestioned facts. Had you stopped after the first sentence above, I would have accepted your chastisement of my earlier post without further comment.

Regards,
Bob Received on Mon Apr 07 2003 - 00:20:20 CDT