Re: Reorganizing the DB.. the tricky way

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 00:46:06 +0200

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote:

>Create brand new tablespaces and make them LMT with uniform extent sized
>to handle the tables that will be moved to them. Then move tables on a
>selective basis over a period of time.

That is a fine advise, but I am afraid I will have to move things back again - because of the tablespace name.

Two things I am concerned about are: if I use "alter table <tab-name> online", I suppose that the table is still available while being moved, but what is the price I have to pay? I mean, what is the disadvantage of using the "online" option? I would rather do it in a way that I can regain space of deleted records. If using the "online" option prevents this, I prefer the "offline" method.

And 2: How can I avoid queries to fail due to indexes being in the UNUSUABLE state until the table is completely moved and the index is rebuilt?

Put together: How can I reorganize the DB without affecting its availability?

Bye
Rick Denoire Received on Sun Apr 06 2003 - 17:46:06 CDT