Re: Reorganizing the DB.. the tricky way

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 00:02:01 +0200

"Ana C. Dent" <anacedent_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>1) Oracle really does NOT care about OS files per se and
>neither should you. Oracle primarily cares about tablespaces.

One file has grown to about 30 GB in size, which I don't like at all. I prefer having files about 8 GB because I am more flexible trying to distribute them. But it happens that I can't resize this 30 GB file, although it is less than 50% full. The reason is that some extents are located at the upper end of the file. So I would prefer moving these objects first. This is a case where one has to care about files.

If I could move exactly those objects preventing me from resizing the file, then I would not have to move about 14 GB of data - which takes a long time.

Perhaps there is a way to locate/identify the segments located at the upper end of the file, I just don't know how.

Bye
Rick Denoire Received on Sun Apr 06 2003 - 17:02:01 CDT