Re: Reorganizing the DB.. the tricky way

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 23:51:04 +0200

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 3E909DD0.F6E37025_at_exxesolutions.com...
| Anton Buijs wrote:
|
| I would argue that in a production database there is no place for ALTER
TABLE
| ADD column as is being assumed here. That to do so is irresponsible. The
| existing data should be dumped to a temp table, the table truncated, then
| modified, and the data returned to the table in combination with whatever
values
| are required by the modification.
|
| Daniel Morgan

Don't agree it is irresponsible, it is the real world! The production DBA is always the last to know that a column has to be added, no time to wait for the proper moment to take the application down for a while so you must add the column NOW. And do the reorg later. Your or mine scenario: table is unavailable for some time. And in 9i I'am in favour of adding the column and reorg later: we can really do alter table move online, without downtime, if I recall it well from the New features course (unfortunately we only have a small 9i playground at this moment, but real 9i db's are coming soon) Received on Sun Apr 06 2003 - 16:51:04 CDT