Re: Reorganizing the DB.. the tricky way

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 21:38:42 +0200

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> wrote:

>Ouch. You need to get someone in there to teach your developers how to
>work with Oracle. Tablespace names in SQL statements? Sounds like a bunch
>of SQL Serve retreads that never learned Oracle concepts and architecture
>and are still building temp tables.

>The entire concept of developers choosing tablespaces, as they have no
>knowledge of I/O is wrong. The blind placement of indexes in tablespaces
>with names related to where the tables are without knowledge of I/O on te
>server is wrong.

If developers need a new index, and I told them to use a specific tablespace to acommodate that index, how are they going to get that done without explicitly putting the name of the tablespace in the SQL statement? So you say that is wrong. You are surely more experienced that I am, so please let me know how to do it the right way.

>I would urge you to take a big step back away from the table and review
>the postings here at c.d.o. over the last year with respect to both of
>these issues before proceeding.

Give me some adequate keywords to search for. It is not easy to target the question of the policy of using tablespace names by developers vs. administrators with the help of these limited search engines like "google".

>It is easy now to see why you have such a huge problem with fragmentation,
>chaining, etc. Someone is going to need to take control of this or the
>problems will grow bigger and bigger or you should consider polishing your
>resume and getting out before it all collapses around you.

That is a quite dramatic exageration. I don't feel that things will break down on me.

By the way, while setting up a new database, I was called by one of the developers who wanted to populated some tables and he asked me the names of the tablespaces. I told him: "You are making assumptions you shouldn't - bad style". He answered: "Well, where are those indexes supposed to go". I had to tell him the corresponding tablespace for indexes. What would you have done in such a situation?

Bye
Rick Denoire Received on Sun Apr 06 2003 - 14:38:42 CDT