Re: Reorganizing the DB.. the tricky way

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 21:05:26 +0200

DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com> schreef in berichtnieuws 3E906EA1.B510E243_at_exxesolutions.com...

| Ouch. You need to get someone in there to teach your developers how to
| work with Oracle. Tablespace names in SQL statements? Sounds like a bunch
| of SQL Serve retreads that never learned Oracle concepts and architecture
| and are still building temp tables.
| The entire concept of developers choosing tablespaces, as they have no
| knowledge of I/O is wrong. The blind placement of indexes in tablespaces
| with names related to where the tables are without knowledge of I/O on te
| server is wrong.

I don't know sqlserver but saw much applications build with Oracle Designer. I want developers to deliver create table and create index scripts WITH tablespace names that Designer can generate with the script (but without storage clause). Ofcourse I talk with them about it. Do you think I am manually going to add it for 200 tables and 500 constraints or indexes?

| I would urge you to take a big step back away from the table and review
| the postings here at c.d.o. over the last year with respect to both of
| these issues before proceeding.
|
| It is easy now to see why you have such a huge problem with fragmentation,
| chaining, etc. Someone is going to need to take control of this or the
| problems will grow bigger and bigger or you should consider polishing your
| resume and getting out before it all collapses around you.
|
| Daniel Morgan

Fragmentation is probably caused (just guessing) because the initial setup was wrong choosen as we can judge it now, maybe it was ok at the moment the database was created. Now its up to Rick to take action and reorganize what has grown wrong in x years. Lucky we have "alter table move" available today. Received on Sun Apr 06 2003 - 14:05:26 CDT