Re: Reorganizing the DB.. the tricky way

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 20:24:57 +0200

Comments embedded

Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de> schreef in berichtnieuws a1n09vobklb122f9nnhfanvc7f8g4no7ki_at_4ax.com...
| "Anton Buijs" <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl> wrote:
|

| >Non-contiguous extents? Do you mean that extent 2 is not allocating the
| >blocks beside extent 1?
|
| I mean that some free space or space allocated to a different segment
| will lie in between.

I still don't see why you consider this a problem, but you are going to read paper #104 helps.

| >To my knowledge you can't say in with datafile (or blocks) the table must
| >allocate space. You can only specify a tablespace.
|
| But one could resize all OTHER files to a mininum, so Oracle would
| have to put the table into a specific file... Dirty trick, I guess.

Not a dirty trick, just a trick, and you can influence where the blocks will be alloced. But you can't switch to LMT then.

| >My advice would be to rebuild the tables into another tablespace. And
make
| >that tablespace a Locally managed tablespace (LMT).
|
| Actually, while writing this article, they are being rebuild into a
| different, locally managed tablespace. But: It has a different name. I
| would have then to change the default tablespace for all relevant
| users.
|
| The problem is that there is no legal way to rename a tablespace in
| Oracle 8.1.7.

Yes, it's a problem when tablespace names are in scripts. I solved this once in a situation by having defined variables in the scripts (because the production db had many tableespaces to accomodate different sizes, where the development db just had 1 table and 1 index tablespace; in the login.sql script I arranged all these variables to get the proper value). Solution is to rebuild twice. When the original tablespace is moved empty, you can recreate it as LMT and move all its segments back.

| >Visit www.orapub.com and download Technical paper #104 Oracle 7 Server
Space
| >Management (free registration). Although it covers V7 it is still valid
| >(maybe not on details). It gives a very good calculation of the extra IO
| >involved for a full tablescan of a table when it has allocated 5 or 1000
| >extents. The proposed space management strategy is now in fact enforced
with
| >LMT.
| >|