Re: Reorganizing the DB.. the tricky way

From: Rick Denoire <100.17706_at_germanynet.de>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 19:55:36 +0200

"Ana C. Dent" <anacedent_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

>1) Oracle really does NOT care about OS files per se and
>neither should you. Oracle primarily cares about tablespaces.

Whether I should care: See my answer to 2)

>2) Why does it matter the name of the tablespace where the tables
>and indexes reside? If it does not matter then simply create a
>new tablespace & move the objects into it. I see no requirement to
>move the object a second time "then back again"

When the developers create an index, they were asked to put them in the corresponding tablespace for indexes. If its name change, they will get an error. There is no such thing like a "default tablespace for indexes".

Besides that, tablespace names were put in a number of sql statements that developers have prepared to recreate objects if needed. OK, if only the default tablespace is going to be used, that is a bad practice.

>3) If you add a new file to the existing tablepsace, stop worrying
>about what object is in which file. Simply "reorg" the objects.
>Oracle will make them contiguous as long as contiguous free space
>exists within the tablespace.

Yes, but free space in the files won't be contiguous, so fragmentation at the tablespace level will remain. That is what I am trying to avoid.

Bye
Rick Denoire Received on Sun Apr 06 2003 - 12:55:36 CDT