Re: row cache objects latch and shared_pool_size

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2003 11:31:17 +0100

I won't add to Howard's response. But taking a different tack I'd like to point out that the row cache objects latch is a parent latch (in your version of Oracle) with about 22 child latches that correspond to the different "parameter" parent types in the v$rowcache view.

If you are certain that there is significant contention for this latch you should check whether it is restricted to particular elements of the rowcache. This may give you some clues.

Example: if you are using pipelined functions heavily, then there are three entries in v$rowcache that will get hammered - off the top of my head, these are:

    dc_users
    dc_object_ids
    dc_global_oids

If your problem happens to be is in this area, then sizing of pools is irrelevant.

(In fact, noting your other post about reloads reports in v$sql, there is a hint that perhaps your problem is "shared pool too small" - excessive reloads would lead to heavy thrashing on the 'commoner' bits of the row cache)

--
Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

  The educated person is not the person
  who can answer the questions, but the
  person who can question the answers -- T. Schick Jr

One-day tutorials:
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/tutorial.html

____UK_______April 8th
____UK_______April 22nd