Re: And the correct answer is?

From: Connor McDonald <connor_mcdonald_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 11:42:27 +0800

sfk wrote:

> Connor McDonald wrote:
>
> sfk wrote:
> >
> > The following is from a text..... I would like some
> opinions .... what
> > is the correct answer.
> >
> > EMP Table is defined as follows:
> > EMPNO NUMBER 4
> > ENAME VARCHAR2 30
> > SALARY NUMBER 14,2
> > COMM NUMBER 10,2
> > DEPTNO NUMBER 2
> >
> > You perform the following tow queries:
> >
> > 1. SELECT empno enumber, ename FROM emp ORDER BY 1;
> > 2. SELECT empno, ename FROM emp ORDER BY ASC;
> >
> > Which of the following is true?
> > A. Statements 1 and 2 will produce the same result.
> > B. Statement 1 will execute; statement 2 will return an
> error.
> > C. Statement 2 will execute; statement 1 will return an
> error.
> > D. Statement 1 and 2 will execute but produce different
> results.
>
> Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...lets see
>
> what's an 'enumber' ? what's an 'asc' ?
> With the two above questions, does not seem you are capable
> of bright ideas.
>

> Hey, here's a bright idea - you could
>
> a) run @?/rdbms/admin/utlsampl.sql to create the SCOTT
> schema
> b) run the two statements
> c) see what happens
>
> d) know what happens!
> If you don't want to participate, why don't you just move along and
> leave you witty and 'bright ideas' somewhere else!
>

> cheers
> connor
> --
> Connor McDonald
> http://www.oracledba.co.uk
>
> "Some days you're the pigeon, some days you're the statue"

You asked what the correct answer is...

I gave you the the full means to derive what the correct answer is yourself. Additionally it showed to the public forum where the script for the SCOTT schema are (because in earlier versions it was often located somewhere else under ORACLE_HOME).

My sincerest apologies for providing such information...I of course had no idea that when you asked for "Which of the following is true?" that my providing the method for how to deduct the answer to that precise question was not what you wanted.

Silly of me..

--