Re: Max Open Cursors

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_exxesolutions.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 10:51:29 -0800

George Fields wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I’m using implicit cursors and have gotten an ORA-01000: maximum open
> cursors exceeded.
>
> We are running Oracle 8.0.5
>
> 1. This occurs with a maximum cursors set to 900 and I’d rather not go
> much higher.
> 2. I know that Oracle does not close most cursors until the application
> is exited, so the cursors can be used over again if a process is run
> more often.
>
> How can I force Oracle to close the open cursors?
>
> What are the trade-offs if I increase the maximum cursors to a larger
> number (like 2000)?
>
> Thanks,
> George Fields

What do you mean you know Oracle does not close most cursors? Oracle closes all cursors.

Bad developers don't close cursors.

Fix your code and upgrade to an Oracle version that is supported in the current millenium. A maximum cursors at 900 is a joke. I've never seen a decent application require a fraction of that number.

Daniel Morgan Received on Sat Apr 05 2003 - 12:51:29 CST