Max Open Cursors

From: George Fields <WalterFields_at_jhuapl.edu>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 12:33:58 -0500

Hi,

I’m using implicit cursors and have gotten an ORA-01000: maximum open cursors exceeded.

We are running Oracle 8.0.5

  1. This occurs with a maximum cursors set to 900 and I’d rather not go much higher.
  2. I know that Oracle does not close most cursors until the application is exited, so the cursors can be used over again if a process is run more often.

How can I force Oracle to close the open cursors?

What are the trade-offs if I increase the maximum cursors to a larger number (like 2000)?

Thanks,
 George Fields Received on Sat Apr 05 2003 - 11:33:58 CST