Re: Problem with control files

From: Hans Forbrich <forbrich_at_telusplanet.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 01:03:27 GMT

Marco Girouard wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm kind of newbie in the Database field so no flaming please.

> Don't know if this issue has been answer in the past but few houre of
> newsgroups searching doesn't come up with anything.

This kind of introduction will usually elicit a serious attempt to help ... welcome to the club! (We tend to flame mainly when we get the feeling the person is trying to avoid effort of helping themself.)

> I'm currently trying to make a oracle 8i cold backup (windows 2000
> OS). What I'm trying to do is shutdown the database, copy the file I
> want somewere else on the server restart the database and the copy
> will be put on tape on the folowing backup, simple as that!

Yes, this sounds straight forward.

> My problem is, I'm able to copy all files exept the control files. As
> soon has I try to copy the control files, the server froze for about
> 30 seconds and give me an "CRC Error" message.

Several things come to mind off hand:
1) The database is not truly down - perhaps you tried the copy before it confirmed shutdown
2) A disk problem
3) A problem with the copy command - are you using a third party program that includes an error check in the before/after images? 4) The disk is not locally attached and the disk's server has not properly flushed the disk cache

Is the problem happening with ALL control files, or just one of the set. If it's just one copy, you should be OK since they are duplicated

/Hans