Re: Oracle: Naked King in database land?

From: Mark D Powell <Mark.Powell_at_eds.com>
Date: 4 Apr 2003 07:16:38 -0800

Numo, I have added a couple of comments for any interested parties on your observations. I cut the post down to save unnecessary text.

wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au (Nuno Souto) wrote in message news:<73e20c6c.0304031600.6fefaf81_at_posting.google.com>...
> Mark.Powell_at_eds.com (Mark D Powell) wrote in message news:<2687bb95.0304030625.7652dfcc_at_posting.google.com>...
>

> > The next version of IMS will support access from JAVA based web
> > applications so we will probably be running IMS a decade from now
> > along side our Oracle (currently AIX) based applications. The more
> > software technology advances the more work we do to hook it up to our
> > oldest applications.
>

> Some people never learn... :D

The problem is that in the short-term it is cheaper to connect the new with the old than to convert the old technology to modern technology. Unfortunately this usually results in high maintenance costs due in part to very difficult modification efforts. But management only looks at the short-term numbers.

> Last I heard VM had been "re-invented" as a way of running
> MVS and multiple Linux environments in the same mainframe. THAT
> will be fun!

I believe that we are going to give it a try. At one time we ran MVS under VM and until we reconfigured VM to let MVS take over its own IO the setup sucked.

> Cheers
> Nuno Souto
> wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam

As long as you have your health you are not old, because your mind appears to still be in working order (not that my opinion matters on a subject like that though you did make the comment about age).