How to perform a simple full database backup

From: Graham Parsons <graham.parsons_at_reflective.com>
Date: 4 Apr 2003 02:07:19 -0800

We are doing work for a client which involves a lot of regression testing.

The client uses Oracle but to restore a database back they are using import of a previous export. This takes ages and coming from a database background (though not Oracle) I am sure there must be a faster way of taking a consistent full database backup - either by using a tool that does such or at the OS level (after quiescing the instance).

I'm looking for the simplest method - simple to perform and also simple for me to get up to speed with.

The obvious solution would be to do a backup at the OS level - zip or tar the relevant files. Does this work? If so could anyone please let me know which files need to be copied and what needs to be done first to shut the database down.

I'm sorry that this is probably a very simple question - the trouble is that all the databases have morphed to be so much more and things such as the management server and rman are not out of the box easy to use.

Many thanks in advance

Graham Received on Fri Apr 04 2003 - 04:07:19 CST