Re: Oracle: Naked King in database land?

From: JustAnotherDBA <burttemp1REMOVE_THIS_at_bellsouth.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 16:22:19 -0600

Vi is to Unix what notepad is to Windoze. It's always there and available . If you are going to do a lot on Unix (or Linux I would think), seems you should at least learn how to do some basic vi stuff.

Also, a few things stand out that make vi (and it's readonly equivalent, view, which uses the exact same commands) better than the Windoze notepad (and probably a lot of other editors):

  1. Vi usually works with large files , like 40 Meg log files - try that with notepad.
  2. Vi can change non-display charactes (like tab, end of line, carriage return, etc.).
  3. Set showmatch is also nice for changing the tnsnames.ora - let's you know if you are missing a closing ')' .

I like vi, but realize anyone who has not really tried to learn it and use it, doesn't know what they are missing and cannot understand why anyone would like it.