Re: Question about sizing log files

From: Sanjay Mishra <oraskm_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 2 Apr 2003 20:00:55 -0800

The proper sizing of redolog files is a trade-off between better runtime performance and better recovery performance.

Bigger log files --> less frequent log switches --> better runtime performance.

Bigger log switches --> less frequent checkpoints(provided you have high log_checkpoint_interval) --> more time required during instance recovery.

Smaller log files --> frequent log switches --> poorer runtime performance.

Smaller log files --> frequent checkpoints --> less time required for instance recovery.

HTH,
Sanjay