Re: error creating database from template ( NT/9.0.1 to linux/9.2.0.1 .0)

From: Hemal Pandya <h00_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 23:12:39 GMT

Norman Dunbar wrote:
> Morning,
>
> it sounds like you are actually trying to clone a database not create
> one from a template- but I could be wrong !

Thanks for your response, Norman.

You can say that I am trying to clone a database, in the sense that I am trying to transfer the database from work to home. The template was created at work by the DBA from the existing database and I am trying to create a database from that template.

> If you have copied the datafiles over from the NT server then forget it
> - it will not work. You cannot use NT datafiles on any other system
> except NT.

No, I have to copied the database files over from the NT. The template was created on the NT server. But the dfj files essentially contain the data files, no?

Does this mean a template created on a NT machine cannot be used to on a Linux machine? Then I am stuck, preety much. But I will be surpised if this is the case.

> If you are running the 'create controlfile' command, then the datafiles
> listed *must* already exist on your Linux box, in the locations given.
> If you are trying to create a new database and the files don't exist,
> then you are going about it all the wrong way I'm afraid.

When I get the error about the create controlfile, I see that the datafiles are already present in the expected directory, I am assuming dbca extracted them from dfj and moved them to correct location and name.

> Do this :

[....]

I have been able to create databases from the templates that came with the installation, both "New Database" which does not have data files and "General Purpose" which does.