Re: weird listener problem

From: Anton Buijs <aammbuijs_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 23:53:02 +0200

Tong Li <tongli_at_unagi.cis.upenn.edu> schreef in berichtnieuws b6fkiv$407j$1_at_netnews.upenn.edu...
| Hello there:
| I am having problem when connecting from Oracle client to one of the two
| servers.
| I am using Oracle 9i2 running on win2k. Client was installed on an IIS
| server.
|
| There are two Oracle servers, say server1 and server2, and one client.
| The severs are in same network segment which is inside the firewall.
| The client is outside the firewall.
|
| 1. Connections could be made between two servers, and Everything worked
| fine on two servers.
| 2. Client could connect to server1, but server2. Sounds like a network
| problem, right?
| But hold on, please look below.
| 3. From client, I COULD tnsping server2NetServiceName.
|
| But when I using sqlplus, I got ORA-12541 TNS:no listener.
|
| Any clue?
| Thanks in advance!
|
| Tina

Tnsping only checks if it can contact the listener. And it can, I assume you have configured the firewall to allow trafic on the listener poort. Check tnsnames.ora and listener.ora again. Make sure the service name you use is configured ok. Is the listener listening on it? Use SID=... instead of SERVICE_NAME=.... in tnsnames.ora. I find it easier. Another cause could be firewall. Each session however uses a unique port number, most likely blocked by your firewall. In that case you should configure a Connection Manager on some node behind the firewall and open the firewall for the port(s) used by the connection manager. I'am not sure but I'am afraid Connection manager is only available in the Enterprise Edition. Received on Wed Apr 02 2003 - 15:53:02 CST