Re: Oracle database status web page

From: nilanjan <nilanjan_sarkar_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 2 Apr 2003 11:38:39 -0800

Ed Stevens <nospam_at_noway.nohow> wrote in message news:<9ntl8vcnperl4huutdldis9fibmuflj1t5_at_4ax.com>...
> Given the constraints you have, I think Gabrial has given you about
> the best you can hope for. You keep harping about just doing a
> tnsping, but you need to know that tnsping tells you *zip* about the
> status of the database. Doesn't even tell you if it is up or not. In
> fact -- as I recently demonstrated to myself -- you can get a
> successful tnsping against a database that doesn't even exist. All
> tnsping tells you is that the client and listener agree on where said
> database *should* be if it were there. It says the client was able to
> resolve a reference and contact a listener and the listener agreed
> that it was listening for connection requests for that database and if
> such a connection request were received (tnsping in not a connection
> request) the listener would attempt to service it.

Thanks Ed, for the information.

Just to clarify, this is not really for monitoring databases, there are some very sophisticated elaborate tools the organization uses for monitoring the databases this is actually one of the biggest organizations on the globe with at least a few hundred (if not thousands) production databases at least!!!

But the status web page I was creating is for some business reporting user site where they might just have a friendly businesslike page with some comments on whether some of their reporting platform databases 30 or so are up or not...

As I had mentioned in my post ""This need not be a very robust check either, so if the DB is hung,tnsping might still say DB is OK. But this would suffice since it is mainly as a business web site status ""

I know tnsping is not robust, but as long as there is a listener on the production database server listening,I am assuming! that the production DBAs have their database up... Received on Wed Apr 02 2003 - 13:38:39 CST