Re: Cloning problem.... any ideas?

From: Ronald <devnull_at_ronr.nl>
Date: 1 Apr 2003 22:01:06 -0800

sfk <nospan_at_noway.org> wrote in message news:<3E88FC75.A9C4B5D2_at_noway.org>...
> Is there a process I can use to check the integrity of datafiles prior
> to moving over my net to verify there are ok. I am practicing cloning
> and I get the following on an NT system.
>
> ORACLE instance started.
> Total System Global Area 58492956 bytes
> Fixed Size 75804 bytes
> Variable Size 37273600 bytes
> Database Buffers 20971520 bytes
> Redo Buffers 172032 bytes
> CREATE CONTROLFILE REUSE DATABASE "DEMO" NORESETLOGS NOARCHIVELOG
> *
> ORA-01503: CREATE CONTROLFILE failed
> ORA-01210: data file header is media corrupt

  1. From what platform did the original database come from ? You can only clone to the same platform as the original database comes from.
  2. which files did you transfer ?
  3. How did you transfer the files ?
  4. Was the source database open or closed ?
  5. Was the source database running archive log ?
  6. How does the create controlfile script look like ?
  7. Are the path strings correct ?

Normally it's not much more than copying the datafiles, create the controlfile, recover the database if it was an open database copy and open it.
You could also try using rman and copy database. Works very nicely and prevents lots of errors, if you use it the right way ;-)

Ronald.

http://ronr.nl/unix-dba Received on Wed Apr 02 2003 - 00:01:06 CST