Re: Oracle: Naked King in database land?

From: Ken Wallis <kenws_at_devnulldotempowerdotaust.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 11:21:03 +1000

Anne <anne_at_thereistoomuchspam.com> wrote:

> I am getting quite frustrated about Oracle and would like to get an
> idea if I am just being stupid, doing everything wrong, accidently
> using Beta versions or using the wrong OS or just unlucky or what? I
> am getting the impression that Oracle is
> like the vi text-editor: for freaks only and even freaks are quite
> easy to beat using most more modern software solutions.

I'll let others respond to the Oracle bits of this rant except to say that my experience with Oracle is that if you get a bit of training and spend the time to set it up right, then even when you run it on the crappiest and most widely installed family of operating systems in the world, it stays up reliably and runs queries as fast as you let it.

What I cannot let pass is this unwarranted attack on the only decent text editor yet invented. Why someone who spends their entire time on Windows would decide to have a whinge about vi, I really don't know, but I can say that my productivity on Windows has gone up immeasurably since I discovered vim (www.vim.org).

You may be more productive using a 'more modern software solution' than when using vi, but don't assume your ineptitude with this powerful tool transfers to everyone else.

Cheers,

Ken Received on Tue Apr 01 2003 - 19:21:03 CST