Re: Slow response when connect through TNSNAMES.ORA to a Oracle 9i versie 2 database.

From: Karsten Farrell <kfarrell_at_belgariad.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 00:23:50 GMT

aad.kramer_at_getronics.com said...
> Hi,
>
> Database Oracle 9I version 2
> OS LINUX Redhat
>
> When I connect to a database on a server with :
>
> sqlplus system/manager : then the connect is fast (no problem).
>
> when I using :
>
> sqlplus system/manager_at_sidname a connect takes about 10 / 15 seconds.
>
> The same problem occurs when using TNSPING : it takes about 15 seconds
> to find the sid. PING is in 20 ms.
>

> Checked the /etc/hosts file for read permissions for all users.
> Checked tne TNSNAMES.ORA for the servernames.
>

> Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
>
> Aad Kramer

Don't know about suggestions ... but I have a few questions. I'd need more than "it takes longer" to offer suggestions.

How is OracleNet configured on your server? Dedicated? Shared? Multithreaded ? Connection manager? Do you use pre-spawned dispatchers / servers? How many simultaneous connections do you have?

What does your SGA look like? Do you have sufficient memory on your server to prevent paging Oraclenet servers or dispatchers in and out of memory?

Do you have a firewall between your client and server? Is it OracleNet aware?

What do you have in your sqlnet.ora file? Do you first try something other than a TNSNAMES search?

--
/Karsten
DBA > retired > DBA