User Authorization via personal login/password in Application for DB

From: Christof Kaiser <kaiser_at_logiball.de>
Date: Tue, 01 Apr 2003 16:53:17 +0200

Hi,

I have a schema in Oracle (9.0.2) with data in it which of course lives in a DB user.

Now I built an application which will be used by several (natrual) persons.
Each one should get his/her own login and password to allow them to access the data in the db user / schema through the application.

How would administrate these personal user logins rights effeciently??

They are not db logins.

Is there oracle functionality/a package to do these things? The login/password to the real data should not be in the application. I would think of something like in the unix world where the password is checked by some package but it is asymetric so the application doe not know the password, it just gets to know if the password entered is correct or not.

My application whill be java, but calling PL/SQL is not a problem.

I am sure the must be something like this provided with oracle for OLP systems.

But: where is it and how is it named?

Cheers
Chrustof Received on Tue Apr 01 2003 - 08:53:17 CST