Re: Fad of the month Java data access question.

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au.nospam>
Date: 01 Apr 2003 13:56:47 GMT

Following up on Telemachus, 01 Apr 2003:

> Question : Which ones are currently in serious use out there and have a
> good chance of actually being around in a few years ?

Anyone's guess, I'd say. Actually, to be precise: Anyone of those technologies could be with us. None of them is a cure-all: they all need to be used where appropriate. If there is one thing that the "Java revolution" has shown is that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

> If you are now part of a serious Java development , and could start it
> all over, which data access technology would you use ?

Anything WITHOUT Java in it...

> Browsing the various cheerleading web sites for all these technologies
> and
> also watching people like Nuno who have strong opinions on this kind of
> thing is leaving me slightly confused.

Well, I think the title says it all:
fad of the month...

I just sat for 1/2 hour yesterday in front of a "websphere Java expert", whatever the heck that means, who tried to convince me that to solve a performance problem all we had to do was start multiple JVMs inside Websphere.

Never mind that the problem we had was a single threaded single user batch program with a repeating loop that needed to be tuned...

According to this genius, Websphere's multiple JVM's could cure all. It's people like this that give a bad name to a technology. Not those who critique its short-comings.

--
Cheers
Nuno Souto