Re: need advice for partitioning in 8.1.7.2

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 22:16:52 +1000

"Ragnar Hark" <rr.xx_at_mail.ee> wrote in message news:b6bno5$kim$1_at_kadri.ut.ee...
> Hi all !
>
> What is a best way to partition already existing table ?
>
> For example;
> I have a table which contains about 80000000 rows and
> each row contains timestamp. So, I think the best solution
> is partition data by months.

Hi Ragnar,

How you partition a table depends very much on why you want to partition it. One of the key advantages of partitioning is Oracle's ability to perform partition pruning, partition-wise joins and the such so the column(s) you select depends muchly on how you typically wish to access the data and how this table may interact with other tables.

If your existing table contains the partitioned data randomly throughout then you really don't have much of a choice but to "move" all the data across row by row (via a CTAS or similar). If your data existed in a logically partitioned manner (say via separate tables containing yearly specific data) then you would have more options and potentially make use of the exchange functionality to load/swap the data in more effectively.

Read up on the partitioning options, clearly define why and how you plan to access the partitioned data and pick the solution that's most appropriate.

Cheers

Richard Received on Tue Apr 01 2003 - 06:16:52 CST