Re: ORA-01034 error during database creation

From: Tim X <timx_at_spamto.devnul.com>
Date: 01 Apr 2003 18:42:39 +1000

"Chloe Crowder" <chloe.crowder_at_bl.uk> writes:

> Stephan
> thanks for this. If I connect CONNECT INTERNAL and then STARTUP NOMOUNT
> I get:-
> LRM-00109: could not open parameter file '/data/Ora8i/dbs/initilsmast.ora'
> ORA-01078: failure in processing system parameters
>
> I guess this file needs to be created, and I would have expected
> configuration manager to create it. There is an init.ora and initdw.ora in
> that directory which look like templates, but I'm reluctant to tamper with
> things I don't really understand.
>
> Chloe
>
> "Stephan Bressler" <stephan.bressler_at_siemens.com> wrote in message
> > Hi,
> >
> > seems your instance is not running --- or with a different sid, maybe
> > ILSMAST (upper case)?
> >
> > Stephan
> >
> > "Chloe Crowder" <chloe.crowder_at_bl.uk> wrote in message
> > > Having installed 8.1.7 on Solaris I attempted to create a database using
> > > DCA. This started creating the database and then gave:-
> > > ORA-01034: ORACLE not available.
> > >
> > > Looking in /data/Ora8i/admin/ilsmast/create I found a log file and
> script.
> > > assume the script is what was created and the log file the result. The
> > > script starts off:-
> > >
> > > #!/bin/sh
> > > ORACLE_SID=ilsmast
> > > export ORACLE_SID
> > >
> > > /data/Ora8i/bin/svrmgrl << EOF
> > > spool /data/Ora8i/admin/ilsmast/create/crdb2.log
> > > connect internal
> > > @/data/Ora8i/rdbms/admin/catalog.sql;
> > >
> > > REM ********** ALTER SYSTEM TABLESPACE *********
> > > ALTER TABLESPACE SYSTEM
> > > DEFAULT STORAGE ( INITIAL 64K NEXT 64K MINEXTENTS 1 MAXEXTENTS UNLIMITED
> > > PCTINCR
> > > EASE 50);
> > > ALTER TABLESPACE SYSTEM
> > > MINIMUM EXTENT 64K;
> > >
> > > and the log file:-
> > >
> > > Connected.
> > > create or replace
> > > *
> > > ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> > > create or replace
> > > *
> > > ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> > > grant execute on STANDARD to public
> > > *
> > > ORA-01034: ORACLE not available
> > > create or replace view v_$dlm_misc as select * from v$dlm_misc
> > >

> > > The documentation on the error message implies that there should be
> other
> > > error messages to help identify the cause, but no. Can anyone offer any
> > > insight?
> > >
> > > Chloe Crowder

The init.ora can be used as a template - just copy it to a new file where the name is like initORACLE_SID.ora where ORACLE_SID is the name of your db. Then go through the file and change the necessary parameters. If your not sure what they are or what they do, look them up in the Oracle administrators guide.

Personally, I find it easier to create the database by hand. The administrators guide walks you through an example and its not too difficult to follow - its also fairly short and doesn't take long to digest. You can use their example in the administrators guide as a template for creating your own database creation scripts. Essentially the process is

  1. Create the parameter file (initSID.ora) using the init.ora as a guide (together with the Admin guide)
  2. Create the actual database creation script which
  3. Defines the DATAFILE
  4. Defines the LOGFILE for redo logs
  5. runs the catalog.sql (creates dictionary views) and catproc.sql (sets up plsql procedural components
  6. Run other setup scripts you may need for other Oracle features e.g. initjvm.sql and initplsj.sql for java and java components used by plsql.
  7. Connect as system and run the catdbsyn.sql (creates DBA views) and pupbld.sql (create user and product profile tables)
  8. Create tablespaces - at least one for temporary (TEMP), users (USERS), application tools (TOOLS) and one for rollback segments (RBS). I also like to have one or more for indexes.
  9. Create your rollback segments (make sure they are also specified in the parameter file so that they are automatically brought back online after a db shutdown and re-open.
  10. create any additional roles and users you want.
  11. CHANGE THE SYS and SYSTEM passwords!

I think thats about it, but check it against the Admin guide. I've only been doing this stuff for a couple of months, so really I'm just trying to point you in the right direction (and possibly find out where my knowledge is lacking or flawed or ...

Also, keep an eye on this thread - I'm sure the more experienced Oraclers on this list will be able to point out the ommissions and errors in the above!

Tim

--
Tim Cross