Re: Gain OCP 9i Without attending trainging courses?

From: Joel Garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: 31 Mar 2003 14:40:02 -0800

ujjwalc_at_aol.com (Ujjwalc) wrote in message news:<20030330215541.01488.00000162_at_mb-fa.aol.com>...
> Joseph,
>
> Finish Oacle 8i certification.
> No training requirement is there.
> Then take the Oracle 9i upgrade
> exam. No training is required in that
> path. Since requirements change, I
> am not sure how long this option will
> be available. So go for it as soon as
> possible. Please go through
> Oracle OCP site for exam requirements
> and certification path to make sure
> you know the latest changes.
>
> Regards
> Willy

I would go further, and say, not only do the requirements change, but even if you call and talk to them and verify one way or the other, they still might tell you the wrong thing. And then you are TSOL.

From education.oracle.com, searching on 9i upgrade requirements:

Oracle Certification Program: News Update

Oracle9i DBA Certified Professional Credential: Instructor-Led/Hands-On Course Requirement Deadline Extended to September 1, 2002

On June 15th, 2002, Oracle University announced new enhancements to the Oracle9i DBA certification path. These significant changes included a new instructor-led/hands-on course requirement for candidates seeking Oracle 9iDBA certification after June 15, 2002.

In order to allow candidates more time to adapt to the new requirement, Oracle University has extended the Oracle9i DBA Certified Professional credential course requirement deadline to September 1, 2002.

Candidates seeking Oracle9i DBA Certification who have taken at least one exam in the Oracle 9i DBA track by September 1, 2002 will be exempt from fulfilling the new requirement. However, candidates that register for their first exam after September 1st, 2002, will be required to complete the course requirement in addition to the four exams in the path to earn their Oracle9i DBA Certified Professional credential. Note that there is no course requirement for earning the Oracle Certified Associate credential. OCPs that are already certified in version 7.3, 8.0 or 8i of the Oracle database do not have to meet this requirement in order to upgrade their credential to Oracle 9i.

I am tempted to rant on about how bad Oracle Education (as a business) is, but that would be pointless. For the OP, I'd say, it may be a bunch of BS, but it might be cheaper to just take off work and take the stupid course, as opposed to going through the whole 8i schlock, then get confused with the 9i diffs. And who knows, the course may do you good. Different people learn in different ways, but being shown how to do it and then doing it at least gets you going. Then when you can't remember what you did, you can either figure it out again or look at your materials. How many people really go through cd's after passing the test? I don't. I do often use the books I got to self study for the exams though. Most people retain more from reading and doing than listening. I think the best way in general for complex material is to go through a e-tutorial that shows the basics, read the basic docs, play with it for a couple months (preferably with some real, useful goals), then take a class, use it some more, then get into the heavy lifting type books. Unfortunately, time constraints and pricing makes that very difficult unless you have a rare employer that supports it. And most people don't, Oracle's education profits notwithstanding.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
OCP for industry!  OCP for the dead!  What a thread!