Re: Oracle Text, PDF files

From: Randy Nichols <randynichols_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 16:09:28 GMT

We just upgraded to 9.2.0.2 and in agreement with you we are getting better results. We can now index some problem PDF files, and we also use the markup. The markup is fairly primitive in terms of preserving original doc structure, but we are happy to have the capability at all.

I am wondering if it is possible to upgrade just the INSO filter for the older Oracle versions, possibly by copying the oractxx9.dll file? Probably a long shot, but would be useful if true.

-Randy

"Khalid Eidoo" <khalid.eidoo_at_utoronto> wrote in message news:YA7ha.34323$KlE.1199_at_news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com...
> You didn't mention which version of Oracle you were using. We recently
> upgraded to 9.2.0.2 on Linux, which specifically had some updates to the
> INSO filter. We find that indexing PDFs using the new filter provides
> marginally better results.
>
> We primarily perform gists in our application, and the fact that there is
> less garbage in them indicates to us that the INSO filter is doing a
better
> job. We haven't tried highlighting yet though.
>
> Khalid.
>
> "Randy Nichols" <randynichols_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > Oracle Text apparently has problems indexing and highlighting certain
PDF