Re: multi column range partitioning

From: Richard Foote <richard.foote_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 23:34:59 +1000

"cosmin ioan" <cosmini_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:80fb0771.0303290518.6e574069_at_posting.google.com...
> thanks much Jusung,
> I think I took the 'less than' literally but instead it looks like the
> syntax should read 'less than or equal to'. In that case, your
> explanation makes perfect sense.
>
> thanks again,
> Cosmin

Hi Cosmin,

No, take "less than" literally but put it in the context of a multi component value.

The easiest way to view it is to treat the 3 columns as a simple numeric value (say 2 6 9).

So is 179 less than 269. Well as the 1 is less than the 2, we need not look any further and the answer is yes.

Is 265 less than 269. Well as the leading values are both 2 we can't tell at this point. It might be less, but it might not be so we check the second value. The second values are both 6 so again, we still can't tell, it might be less but it might not be. So we check the last value and yes 5 is less than 9 so again we can confirm 265 is less than 269.

Is 284 less than 269. Well as the leading values are both 2 we can't yet tell so we check the next value. Here 8 is greater than 6 so we need not check further and can confirm that 284 is not less than 269 (and so we need to repeat this process with the next less than range).

Hopefully you get the picture.

Cheers

Richard Received on Mon Mar 31 2003 - 07:34:59 CST